Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy 4th of July!

Snorkeling
The morning started out early to head back to Kihea for some snorkeling. I didn't have any gear so E offered some other options (she's all about options), but it seemed fastest, easiest and like a good investment for this trip to just go ahead and buy some. First stop was to a local dive shop to pick up a pair of goggles and flippers for me. The sales person was really nice too.

The Scuba Shack - Maui
2349 S Kihei Rd, Kihei, HI 96753
www.scubashack.com

The beach was just a few minutes from the dive shop and parking, I'm finding, is pretty convenient. We met up with E's friend and jumped right in so I got a view of Ulua Beach from a whole other side. 

It's funny how when you first step in, it seems pretty chilly. But as soon as you immerse yourself, you end up realizing how amazingly perfect the temperature is. Fish were so close to the shore, I might have thought they were mudskippers. One side of the reef seemed to house the baby fish, while the other side, the adults. It seemed to be quite popular for snorkeling and some scuba - which was fine as I'm sure it lent to the level of safeness I felt in the water. I definitely can't name everything I saw, but for sure, the state fish (the Humuhumunukunukuapua`a) and a Moorish idol (think Gill from "Finding Nemo"). Also, a couple of sea turtles and a nudibranch. Unfortunately, I didn't have a full charge on my camera and it died out before I got the hang of taking pictures.


Fish Tacos
After a trip around the reef and back - and a little playtime in the water, we were ready to eat. E took me to a place called Coconuts where we shared a plate of fish tacos. I've been told that the fish tacos I make are pretty good, but I kid you not, my mouth still waters thinking about theirs. E said they're only located in Hawaii and Scottdale (which I think it weird), but still, recommended.

Coconuts Fish Cafe
Azeka Shopping Center
1279 S Kihei Rd, Kihei, HI
http://coconutsfishcafe.com/

Lahaina
I'm not sure why we thought we had some much time when we got home, but we took a bit to get ready (curled hair and mascara) for the evening and ended up rushing out the door to make it to Lahaina. Apparently, you never know how traffic is going to be and if it gets backed up on the one highway to our destination, we could have missed our boat. Fortunately, we made it in plenty of time for check in and also were able to visit the Banyan Tree and some local shops on the main street. 

I was so excited to tell Darren about the Banyan Tree and realized that words and pictures will never do it justice. However, I'll try and post what I do have.




At 7, we boarded a boat through Maui Adventure Cruises to sail out into the harbor for a special view at the fireworks show. The trip included heavy pupus (appetizers) and entertainment by and extra flirty crewman named Rob. While were viewing the sunset, there were a ton of ooh's and ah's as it was the most colorful I have ever seen. I found later the next day that it wasn't an exaggeration in my mind as many of E's friends who have lived in Hawaii for many years also commented on how magnificent it was. Seeing a firework show along with it's reflection in the sea wasn't bad either!

I suppose maybe because it was my first Friday here, we weren't done yet. Another friend of E's had invited us to Baby Beach for a barbeque and to light our own fireworks. We missed the barbeque, but G'n was obliging enough to continue to light a variety of things on fire for us (they happened to be fireworks, but I think he would have been happy lighting candles). The host invited us back to his place for some Lilikoi pie before we headed home - exhausted. Poor E basically made the drive herself as I passed out almost immediately leaving her to the hour plus drive on her own.

B'y, M'a, Rob, Capt'n Gabe, E and me


I love photo filters - but this one didn't need it!

E holding our BYOB Peligrino that we brought to make Sangria and that someone STOLE - right from the cooler. Okay, they took two out of three and we didn't drink on the boat anyway...

B'y, M'a, E & Randy Rob!

Me and E!

Me and the most amazing sunset ever

G'n lightin' stuff on fire


No comments:

Post a Comment