Saturday, July 12, 2014

Jelly Fish!

Checking out my "home" town 
E and I decided to spend Friday evening in Makawao, so we went to a local Mexican restaurant called Polli's for happy hour where they have $5 Makawowie Nachos. We got some hot wings too - yum. Then we headed across the street to Casanova's - also in time for their happy hour. I had a $5 half carafe serving of mojito, and had to laugh as they served it with the straw right in the serving container. E had a $5 half carafe of wine - and so I think it's fair to say, it's a pretty good happy hour.

Storm is a comin'
The news is all about Tropical Storm Wali coming along this weekend. We thought it might not come in until tonight or tomorrow, so we took a chance at heading to Ulua beach for some snorkeling. The visibility was already pretty junkie, so we just lounged for a bit on the beach and then headed to brunch at the Kihei Caffe - which was quite alright with me 'cause I was hungry :) Next time, we're having breakfast before we head to town! By the way, the food was good and I'd definitely be up for going back and possibly sharing a plate next time because the servings are pretty big. If you ever go, it's cash only - so be prepared.

Kihei Caffe
1945 South Kihei Rd, Kihei, HI 96753
http://www.kiheicaffe.net/

Maui Ocean Center (MOC)
After we ate, we headed over to the Maui Ocean Center where Eden works (part-time). I got to go behind the scenes and see some little itty bitty baby sea life - including some sea horses that were the size of my fingernail, and some jellyfish that were a tenth of that. I also got to touch an adult jellyfish, which E assured me wouldn't sting. And it didn't. What a cool experience! I also got to see a 13 month old green sea turtle. I should note that if you ever have a chance to see one while you're out in the ocean or on a beach, it is illegal to touch them. Since E works at the MOC, it was a privilege that comes with her job. While we were there, we got to see her friend L'e do a naturalist presentation from within the shark tank. Another really cool part of the visit.

I had met L'e and another friend that we saw at the MOC, N'e, at the barbecue on Thursday and we chatted a bit with them before were were going to head out. Someone mentioned a weekend happy hour at a nearby place called Beach Bums which was just around the corner from the aquarium, so we all decided to go have a bite to eat and a mai tai before we headed home. The calamari was ahhh-mazing, with lemon caper sauce. The nachos and prime rib, also delish and my mai tai was pretty smooth too. For dessert, we stopped at Ululani's for some Hawaiian Shave Ice with L'e. Yumm!

Beach Bums BBQ & Grill
300 Maalaea Rd #1M
http://beachbumshawaii.com/happy%20hour.html

$5 half-carafe happy hour at Casanovas!




Baby (13 month old) Sea Turtle!


N'd and L'e

Me and E


Beach Bums Grub

No comments:

Post a Comment